Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Power of Silence


Once every summer, we drive 4 and a half hours north to find silence.  This morning, I woke up to sunshine leaking past the curtains.  I walked down to the dock on Flour Lake.  When I am in the city, this is the place I imagine when instructed to go to a favorite restorative spot in my mind.  This dock, these gently lapping waves, the line of pines reflected in the water, the white, billowing clouds. An eagle circling over the trees to my right. Today, I settled on the dock cross-legged, drank in the beloved view, and closed my eyes. 

At first, I heard nothing.  My city battered ears felt dull and muffled.  I breathed in,  letting the taste of cool water and pine linger in the back of my throat. A spot of sun burning on my left cheek.  Gradually, as my ears settled into the quiet, I began to hear.  A single car passing on the access road a mile away.  Birds chirping. A bluejay’s squawk.  The slight movement of leaves in the breeze.  And then, the mad cackling of a pair of loons, calling to each other, over and over on Hungry Jack Lake - the next lake over in the lacy pattern of scattered water that makes up the Boundary Waters. 


I feel my edges dissolve.  This is it. I am home on this precious planet Earth.




No comments:

Post a Comment